Thursday, August 09, 2007

Nothing says "shame" like girlie stuff...

Someone just forwarded me a link to today's NY Times article about how the Bangkok police department is punishing its officers who commit small offenses (such as being late) by forcing them to wear pink Hello Kitty armbands on their uniforms. The person responsible for implementing this plan said:

“This new twist is expected to make them feel guilt and shame and prevent them from repeating the offense, no matter how minor,” he said. “Kitty is a cute icon for young girls. It’s not something macho police officers want covering their biceps.”

Hello Kitty apparently could not be reached for comment.

If you want to know what I think about this story, you can read my Barrette Manifesto ...

-julia

4 comments:

Liza Cowan said...

So excellent Julia. And so true. Girlie stuff is so volitile for men.

Wasn't there something a while ago about prisoners having to wear pink jumpsuits to tone down their macho behaviour. Or did I dream it?

helen_boyd said...

I think I read that about pink jumpsuits too, Liza.

I am consistently confused (& occasionally pissed off) by the way girlie, feminine, & childish are all stand-ins for each other.

nexy said...

here in phoenix, sheriff joe arpaio makes male prisoners wear pink underwear for the same reason.

Liza Cowan said...

I found a link for the pink prison gear, meant to shame the male wearer.


http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=2552686&page=1