Friday, August 31, 2007

I'm A Bitch, I'm A Lover

Meredith Brooks once sang:

" I’m a bitch, I’m a lover
I’m a child, I’m a mother
I’m a sinner, I’m a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I’m your hell, I’m your dream
I’m nothing in between
You know, you wouldn’t want it any other way
"

But I guess there are some gay men who aren't channeling Meredith. From the Washington Blade's "Bitch Session"
"It’s transgender people that need the gay and lesbian movement to succeed not the other way around. They are a minority within a minority who couldn’t get very far without us yet they always arrogantly fail to recognize that! Learn some humility instead of being so damn uppity.

To the transgender activist who had the gall to say that gays and lesbians can’t move forward without them: The fact is transgender activists have opposed gay rights legislation in the past simply because they weren’t included! Despite their being as bad as Christian conservatives or selfish brats, we often managed to succeed without them! They should thank us for forgiving them for this and allowing them to retard our progress by including them now!"

Uppity (gosh, in what context have I heard that word used)? To anyone who has this mindset, I say *insert your favorite expletive here*.

If you need a GLBT history review:



and



We are ONE community. You may want to deny this because we embarrass you. But we've always fought with you and for you. We've earned our place next to you with our bodies.

If you still want transgender activists to go away, then tell your organizations to remove us from their mission statements. The leaders of your organizations are the people that formed this marriage. Go talk to the leadership in the Human Rights Campaign, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, and all the other GLBT organizations that say they represent the entire GLBT community.

We aren't asking for your charity, we're demanding our rightful place next to you. We don't want to hear you complain until you tell the massa's to free the "uppity" transgender people from your mission statements. Until you do that, shut the hell up.

Cross posted from Transadvocate.com

No comments: